Monday, February 10, 2020

Review - Baby Shark!

Baby Shark!
illustrated by Stevie Lewis
Date: 2020
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 24
Format: e-book
Source: library

Stevie Lewis' illustrated board book is perfect for fans of the Baby Shark traditional sing-along...

(synopsis from Goodreads)

Either I grew up under a rock or I'm too old for this "traditional" song (yikes!), but I can't say that I'm familiar with "Baby Shark" at all. This book makes me just as glad of that. All that happens is that a family of sharks is introduced, one by one, with the accompanying refrain of "doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo".

The illustrations are okay, but I found the song tiresome. It also perpetuates a fear of sharks in children. Teaching them that they need to be afraid of sharks when they're at the aquarium is ridiculous.

I wouldn't recommend this one.

Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 0/5

Overall: 1.33 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment