Thursday, October 3, 2019

Review - There's an Alligator Under My Bed

There's an Alligator Under My Bed
by Mercer Mayer
Date: 1987
Publisher: Dial Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: library

The nightmare's gone, but what about that alligator? You have to be so careful getting in and out of bed! Maybe a midnight snack to lure him into the garage will do the trick. In this funny and beloved follow-up, Mercer Mayer faces another nighttime fear head-on.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I enjoyed There's an Alligator Under My Bed much more than There's a Nightmare in My Closet. Rather than resorting to physical violence to deal with the bedtime threat, the child uses his intelligence and comes up with a way to lure the alligator out of his bedroom. (Sure, now there's an alligator in the garage... but that's Dad's problem!)

This is a simple book from a simpler time. It deals with bedtime fears in a charming and entertaining way. The illustrations are similar to those in There's a Nightmare in My Closet, and though I like them a little more here, that may simply be because I enjoyed the story more.

Quotable moment:


Premise: 4/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall: 3.67 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment