Sunday, June 30, 2019

Review - Dorrie and the Blue Witch

Dorrie and the Blue Witch (Dorrie the Little Witch #2)
by Patricia Coombs
Date: 1964
Publisher: Lothrop, Lee and Shepard
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 48
Format: e-book
Source: Open Library

When Dorrie is left home alone by the Big Witch, she decides to have a tea party with Gink. There is a knock on the door. Expecting Cook to arrive any minute, Dorrie opens the door. Instead of Cook, she finds the bad Blue Witch. Dorrie scours Cook’s magic cabinet, uses its contents to capture the Blue Witch and receives a gold cauldron for her efforts.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I was a big fan of Dorrie the Little Witch when I was a kid. Now, decades later, I didn't even remember why I loved the books so much. So when a Goodreads friend reminded me about this series, I went in search of some of the books.

I'm not sure if Dorrie and the Blue Witch was one I read as a child or not (I have a feeling I'm going to be drawing a blank on most of them), but I can see why I enjoyed them. The story here is cute and empowering. Dorrie has to figure out how to deal with a potentially nasty witch who wants to steal her away. So she thinks and comes up with a rather clever solution to the problem. (Her mother eventually completes the solution, but that wouldn't have been possible without Dorrie's help in the first place.) This book is over fifty years old, but it doesn't really feel like it. In this case, anyway, the story doesn't really have any elements that make it seem dated.

As a voracious young reader, I probably loved the fact that there's a lot of text. Technically, I guess these are picture books, but there are some pages that are most or all text. So they're definitely not for the earliest readers (unless someone reads the books to them), but kids who are getting more proficient at reading and who'd like something a little more challenging than a picture book could potentially gobble these up.

The pictures are charming. They're black and white with a touch of colour (blue, in this case... of course; I suspect other titles may have their own specific colours to punch up the monochromatic colour scheme).

Overall, I'm glad I took this trip down memory lane. Dorrie is just as fun as I remember.

Quotable moment:


Premise: 4/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment