Sunday, October 21, 2018

Review - Bink & Gollie

Bink & Gollie (Bink & Gollie #1)
by Kate DiCamillo & Alison McGhee
illustrated by Tony Fucile
Date: 2010
Publisher: Candlewick
Reading level: C
Book type: graphic novel
Pages: 88
Format: e-book
Source: library

Meet Bink and Gollie, two precocious little girls--one tiny, one tall, and both utterly irrepressible. Setting out from their super-deluxe tree house and powered by plenty of peanut butter (for Bink) and pancakes (for Gollie), they share three comical adventures involving painfully bright socks, an impromptu trek to the Andes, and a most unlikely marvelous companion. No matter where their roller skates take them, at the end of the day they will always be the very best of friends. Full of quick-witted repartee, this brainchild of Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo and award-winning author Alison McGhee is a hilarious ode to exuberance and camaraderie, imagination and adventure, brought to life through the delightfully kinetic images of Tony Fucile.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I was searching my library's e-book selections for more books by Kate DiCamillo because I've found her to be a reliably good author when I want a children's book that's written well and isn't condescending. I'd never even heard of the Bink & Gollie books before, but the library had #1 and #3 (typical), so I picked up the first one to give it a try. As soon as I was done, I downloaded the third book as well.

This is a super-cute depiction of friendship. The pictures themselves are adorable (I love Gollie's house up in the tree and Bink's wild hair!), but combined with DiCamillo and McGhee's wonderful writing, I felt like I was watching an amazing animated film. I could almost hear Bink's cute little voice in my head (she has some of the best lines). DiCamillo never shies away from using big words, trusting that kids are smart enough to figure out what is meant through context. The result is a story that is enjoyable for a much wider age range than one might normally find in a children's book.

The stories are simple, but they all tie together by the end, and the girls' friendship is reinforced even more. I wish my library had all of the books in the series, because I'd love to read about more of Bink and Gollie's adventures.

Quotable moment:

"Hello, Gollie," said Bink. "Do I smell pancakes?"

"You do not," said Gollie.

"Will I smell pancakes?" said Bink.

"Perhaps a compromise is in order, Bink," said Gollie.

"What's a compromise?" said Bink.

"Use your gray matter, Bink," said Gollie. "You remove your outrageous socks, and I will make pancakes."

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Pace: 5/5
Writing & Editing: 5/5
Illustration: 4/5
Originality: 5/5

Enjoyment: 5/5

Overall Rating: 4.75 out of 5 ladybugs

No comments:

Post a Comment