Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Review - Wait and See

Wait and See
by Robert Munsch
illustrated by Michael Martchenko
Date: 1993
Publisher: Annick Press
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 24
Format: e-book
Source: library

It is Olivia’s birthday, and when she blows out the candles on her cake and makes a wish—she gets exactly what she wanted!

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This is another "Classic Munsch" that I had yet to read. I don't know if I'd ever even heard of it.

While the story is kind of cute, I also found it a little unnerving. I mean, this kid has the power to make her birthday wishes come true for some reason. It doesn't seem to matter what her parents want, or what's good for other people, or even what's safe; her wishes are granted anyway, nearly drowning the neighbours at one point. I also didn't like the ending; so much for parents calling the shots.

Martchenko's illustrations are really cute (as usual) and it was nice to see a black family in the starring roles. But I'm afraid the story was a bit of a swing and a miss for me. I doubt I'd read this one again.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3.17 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment