Monday, January 8, 2018

Review - Lumberjanes

Lumberjanes (Lumberjanes #1)
by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Shannon Watters & Brooke A. Allen
Date: 2014
Publisher: BOOM! Studios
Reading level: YA
Book type: graphic novel
Pages: 27
Format: e-book
Source: library

WHY WE LOVE IT: Five best friends spending the summer at Lumberjane scout camp...defeating yetis, three-eyed wolves, and giant falcons...what’s not to love?!

WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: It’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Gravity Falls and features five butt-kicking, rad teenage girls wailing on monsters and solving a mystery with the whole world at stake. And with the talent of acclaimed cartoonist Noelle Stevenson, talented newcomer Grace Ellis writing, and Brooke Allen on art, this is going to be a spectacular series that you won’t want to miss.

WHAT IT’S ABOUT: Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley are five best pals determined to have an awesome summer together...and they’re not gonna let any insane quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way! Not only is it the second title launching in our new BOOM! Box imprint but LUMBERJANES is one of those punk rock, love-everything-about-it stories that appeals to fans of basically all excellent things.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

Our library needs to seriously get with the program. This is the only volume they have, even though it looks like most of the installments were published in 2014 and 2015. On its own, it's not very impressive. There are too many characters (some with weird speech affectations), and we jump into the end of the action... only to be told what happened earlier. It's an illustrated story, for goodness sake; if this isn't the place to show rather than tell, I don't know what is.

The illustrations are cute, but nothing special. Maybe I just didn't have time to get attached. I actually like the backgrounds better than the characters themselves.

Since these installments are short, I wouldn't mind reading some more to see if the characters or story grew on me. But I wasn't that enamoured with this one to want to seek out the rest. If the library gets the sequels in the future, I might pick them up. Otherwise, I probably won't bother.

Plot: 1/5
Characters: 2/5
Pace: 2/5
Writing & Editing: 3/5
Illustration: 3/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 1/5

Overall Rating: 1.86 out of 5 ladybugs

4 comments:

  1. While I've heard the first few books are a bit rocky, Lumberjanes looks like a graphic novel that I WANT to get into. My cousin RAVES about this graphic novel and he really want's me to read them. he says there good, but I'm not sure if our tastes in literature are the same. Hoping to get to this soon. I have a goal to read more graphic novel's this year, and I'm hoping to achieve it. I loved the review! Sorry you don't like it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might read a few more if I can find them, since they're really short. It might be that the series gets better later on.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I believe everything said made a bunch of sense.
    However, think on this, what if you added a little content?
    I am not suggesting your information is not solid,
    however suppose you added a headline to maybe grab people's attention? I
    mean "Review - Lumberjanes" is kinda boring. You should peek at Yahoo's
    home page and note how they write post titles to grab people interested.

    You might add a video or a pic or two to get readers interested about
    what you've written. In my opinion, it would make your blog a little livelier.

    ReplyDelete